Wednesday 2 January 2013

Thinking about bathrooms. (update 11/1)

Choices and ideas book; bathroom.

I've just changed the layout for the ensuite but am still working on my main bathroom.
Changes so far:

I removed the corner storage and made the ensuite slightly longer to fit in a separate vanity and I have decided I will have the two in one caroma loo, the 5 star rated one, in the loo room off the main bathroom. This also means that now the master bedroom door isn't right next to the entranceway which is better anyway. Still plenty of closet space.

Ensuite

Porcelain: will use a 4 star rated loo (T/suite Midas Link Caroma Snv Wels 4 Star 4.5 litre /fullwh 933335w)
 with a small vanity and a single pane of glass for the shower barrier. I realised the other day in bunnings that some of the cheapest shower heads, the ones we usually like, are just as if not higher water rating then the super fancy expensive ones so I'll be going with those I think. No idea about mixers or tapeware yet...

Flooring: Decidedly over cork. Too expensive and too many mixed opinions after extensive googling on it's suitability. Probably tiles! Like a boring person.

Tiles: for the bath and shower is something I'm still working on. I love subway tiles as many people do but they are expensive. A very tough decision to make!

Lights: LED w dimmer, one wall light near vanity (astrid ikea)

Main/Family

My Grandpa (civil engineer) didn't like my bathroom design and said I should get someone to design one for me. I can't see how it can really be any different after thinking through so many different layouts for the space. There is a reason for everything.

I want to loo separate so that guests and kids can use it without intruding on someone having a shower. I want a separate bath and shower because older people and kids can find it difficult getting in and out of a bath just to shower and I never use a bath under a shower because it seems to get 100x as dirty and I feel weird sitting where all the feet have been. Then I want to be able to turn on the shower and feel the water temp without getting scalded or frozen and I don't want water all over the floor. This design has everything I want in that regard. It may seem clunky now but there will only be two glass panels to make up the shower, it won't be walls or shower curtains (there is no symbol on the app for glass panes) so it should seem elegant. Then there is the vanity, maybe that can just go on the other side of the bathroom? Next to the shower? Should I move it next to the shower people? Let me know.

Loo room: Caroma profile 5 Wels 5 star rated loo with integrated basin. Wood-look tiles on floor. LED downlight w dimmer.

Flooring: Wood-look floor tiles continued from main house.

Vanity: Not quite decided. I don't want something boring but if I go to crazy it effects resale.

Tiles: Again, undecided but I would probably continue the theme of the ensuite more or less. I don't like using a coloured tile because then you can't change your decor. I think I need to keep it so that I can update the bathroom around the tiles. Will probably tile the bath and the whole back wall shared with the bath and shower as well as the bit where the shower is against the other wall...may have to go a cheaper tile. Subway tiles were approx $35 p/m2 maybe for the shower?

Shower: Same as ensuite but 2 glass panes. I want to avoid swinging glass or hinged glass as I know with people slamming them as they get out of the shower and things, the pane can break or the hinges/whatever makes them swivel can wear out and it's almost impossible to find parts for those sorts of things. Happened in both my mums bathrooms and it's a nightmare.

Bath: I've allowed 1900 so it can be almost any length but I want a really simple one without much molding. Taps in the MIDDLE of the bath and not at the end because if you're ever taking a bath with someone how do you decide who gets smashed by metal things in the back of the head? Have an argument and then no one has a bath and we all go to be grumpy, that's how.

Lights: General lighting (led downlights?) and heat light. Two wall lights either side of vanity (astrid ikea $35)


No comments:

Post a Comment