Tuesday 1 January 2013

Introduction to the project!

Hi All!
My partner (23) and I (21) are embarking on an incredible adventure this year! A window has opened in our lives that means we may have finance for the first and only time in our lives to own our own home. What with the first home owners grant and benefits offered to people willing to build and my mother selling her house and not buying again straight away, it's made it possible to consider a project like this. For the last 6 months or so it has been a project occupying most of my thoughts. I have slaved over designs and ideas and become an avid user of pinterest.

As soon as settlement is complete and mum has some money to give/lend, we'll be off.
As far as I can make out our first move will be to settle on a bank. I would like to use the local, community mutual, but I am not convinced they have done many building loans so it remains to be seen if we use them.

Then it will be a matter of finalising the plans, choosing a builder, submitting plans to council and getting loan approval and OH! I forgot. Buying land is kind of important too.

At any rate, I will begin this blog with my plans and ideas so far and hopefully they won't change too much between now and the final product. I get a flutter in my chest whenever I think about that moment of walking through the door to my very own custom house.

I will be trying to manage this build while attending part time university as well as a part time job, my Partner (Shall we call him M? I like it, enigmatic) will be in his full time job at bunnings. He's not allowed to quit at any point while we're building or I will sue him for everything we will lose in discounts. I hope he realises this. But can I have a hallelujah for 20% off gross profit?

The House:

-Aims to be as small as possible without compromising on comfort. Many houses are excessively large and not only does this effect the cost of the build but adds to things like power usage and heating and cooling costs.

-Aims to be as simple as possible with a rather unfashionable plain rectangle design. It will comprise of colorbond roofing and cladding that has been well insulated. (Thinking pale eucalyptus walls with Evening Haze or Paperbark roof)

-Aims to be as self sufficient as possible but this is subject to some budget concerns. The size of the house, area and the fact that it will be our first home means things like solar panels may not be worth it and may be unaffordable. I will stick to a water tank, grey water reuse, gas boosted solar hot water and solar passive design concepts. Thermal mass increased by reverse brick veneer on internal living walls, insulated slab on ground (insulated everything) and tiled or polished concrete floors. Subject to analysis by an expert.

-Aims to be a unique and comfortable space with striking features and warm, welcoming atmosphere.

I hope a few people will follow me through this and help me along the way so that my learning of this process can help others to be bold and brave and do what we need to do in order to help our planet.

Thanks,
Lucy

(Also recently on homeone forums under the name lmille32)
(Pinterest http://pinterest.com/eddyling/)

No comments:

Post a Comment